Nothing boosts confidence than shiny, glossy hair. Hair defines the appearance and impressions you make.
Everyone desires healthy, smooth, and beautiful hair.
For the modern woman to look sophisticated, she has to put a lot of effort into making her hair better. The same applies to men who want to look suave.
When it comes to hair products, tons of oils and formulations dot the market. At the very top are Olaplex and Moroccanoil. These two brands are prevalent due to their effectiveness. But which product better suits your hair needs?
Cosmetologists tout Olaplex as the holy grail of hair products.
Olaplex brand has two product ranges—the professional range and the end-consumer range.
The professional range has two Olaprex products, No. 1 and No. 2. These variants can only be applied by a professional. Establishments cannot sell them directly to consumers.
The end-consumer range comprises No.3 and the rest of Olaplex products. They are available for purchase by individuals and hair salons.
It’s advisable to use No.3 as a once-a-week hair treatment. No. 4, No. 5, and the rest mostly come as shampoos, masks, and conditioners.
As a brand, Moroccanoil produces hair care products like conditioners, hair masks, and shampoos.
Moroccanoil is a natural oil derived from Linseed and Argan seeds. It’s entirely safe for use since it doesn’t incorporate chemical ingredients. This kernel oil has been in use in Northern Africa for ages.
The fatty acids and phenolic compounds present in Moroccanoil products are incredibly beneficial to hair.
Below is a comparison between competing products from Olaplex and Moroccanoil.
No.8 Bond Intense Moisture Mask (Olaplex)
The No.8 Intense Moisture Mask is a reparative hair mask produced by Olaplex. It’s highly concentrated and made using the patented Olaplex’s bond-forming technology.
It’s free from hazardous chemicals like formaldehyde, aldehydes, phthalates, sulfates, and phosphates.
No.8 is a bond builder that transforms dry, brittle hair into soft, resilient hair. It’s highly potent and produces results almost instantly. It works better if you apply it to your damp hair after showering.
- It’s very effective. You get immediate results
- Ideal for all hair types
- Moisturizes and smoothes your hair
- The use of chemicals in its synthesis might deter some people
Restorative Hair Mask (Moroccanoil)
This natural mask treats weakened and damaged hair. Unlike Olaplex’s No.8, the active ingredient in this mask is from natural sources.
This mask consists primarily of argan oil. Argan oil is extremely rich in antioxidants, fatty acids, and vitamin E, which prevents hair follicle cells in your scalp from breaking down.
The other key ingredient is shea butter. This ingredient soothes and moisturizes hair.
Acetamide Mea is another compound that you’ll find in this Moroccanoil mask. It mainly acts as a surfactant to improve the hair texture.
You should apply this restorative mask weekly. Apply it for only five minutes after shampooing your hair.
- It’s made from natural oil
- It also moisturizes hair
- An effective mask for slightly damaged hair
- Not very effective on significantly damaged hair
Comparison of Hair Masks
Now let’s look at how both brands’ hair masks compare directly.
- Both masks are applied weekly
- Both can repair damaged hair
- Moroccanoil mask is made from natural sources, while No.8 is synthesized from chemicals
- Olaplex mask is more potent when tackling highly damaged hair
No.3 Hair Perfector (Olaplex)
The No.3 Hair Perfector is Olaplex’s main product. This bond builder primarily repairs your damaged hair bonds.
Hair is made up of keratin and the amino acid cysteine. Cysteine contains sulfur which links to similar sulfur atoms to form disulfide bonds. Disulfide bonds link two or more proteins together. The connection between proteins defines the shape and strength of your hair
Strengthening treatment, sunlight exposure, and heat application are the primary factors that cause damage to disulfide bonds found in hair.
The main ingredient in No.3 Hair Perfector is Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate, a compound capable of connecting to sulfur bonds. This compound forms artificial disulfide bridges and restores your damaged hair.
Unlike other chemical products, the production of No.3 does not involve experiments on live animals.
You should use this product if you have extensive hair damage. Apply it to the roots of your hair twice a week.
- A potent hair bond builder
- Increases the hair’s tensile strength
- Repairs extensive damage to the hair
- Minimizes hair damage during color application
- It’s made from chemicals (Some people prefer natural products)
Moroccanoil Hair Treatment
Moroccanoil Hair Treatment defrizzes your hair, strengthens it, and makes it shiny.
It’s made from argan oil, which is rich in fatty acids and vitamin E.
This treatment oil also contains Linseed extract. Linseed has omega 3 (alpha-linolenic acid), which boosts hair growth.
You can use this oil on any hair type. Its application is similar to most shampoos. You apply it all over your hair and leave it to settle. Avoid rinsing it off to enjoy the maximum benefits.
You get better results by mixing a few drops of this oil with Moroccanoil Intense Hydrating Mask. Ensure you use adequate amounts daily. The nutrients available will make your hair healthy.
- It’s rich in vitamin E, antioxidants, fatty acids, and other helpful nutrients.
- Lacks harsh chemicals
- Effective in smoothening hair
- You can use it as a natural moisturizer
- It doesn’t repair damaged hair
- It takes longer to be effective. You need to apply it routinely to get positive hair results.
Comparison of Hair Treatment Products
How do both of these products look side by side?
- No.3 Hair Perfector and Moroccan Oil Hair Treatment improve your hair’s appearance.
- Both are safe to use (unless you’re an expectant mother)
- No.3 is mainly used to repair broken hair bonds, while Moroccan Oil detangles your hair and makes it shiny.
- No.3 acts faster on your hair. You’ll get the desired results almost instantly.
- Moroccanoil treatment takes time to be effective. You must use it consistently to achieve perfect results.
If you have weak hair that keeps breaking, go for Olaplex products since these are more effective for repairing hair. These products tend to be stronger and work faster.
However, if your hair is dry or frizzy, consider purchasing Moroccanoil for smooth and shiny hair. Also, keep in mind that if you prefer natural hair products, Moroccanoil is the better option.